524 W 26th Street
Douglas Huebler (b. 1924 Ann Arbor, Michigan; d. 1997, Truro, Mass.) was a seminal Conceptual artist. Having abandoned painting and sculpture by the late 1960s, Huebler is primarily known for his work combining short written statements (usually containing a description of a structure or system) with other materials, such as photography, drawings, and maps, to wryly deconstruct the ways meaning is derived from visual information. Huebler’s first one-person museum exhibition was at the Phillips Gallery, Detroit, in 1953. He exhibited extensively in galleries and museums in the United States and Europe, as well as in international exhibitions such as “Documenta V” (1972). The last retrospective of his work during his lifetime was presented at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels in 1994. There have been several posthumous one-person exhibitions, including at the Camden Arts Centre, London (2002), and the Musée d'Art moderne et contemporain, Geneva (2006). Huebler’s academic career spanned more than forty years; he taught at Miami University in Ohio, Bradford College in Massachusetts, Harvard University, and at the California Institute of the Arts (Valencia), where he served as dean of the School of Art from 1976 to 1988.